Grammy Rules

Mother to Kathryn (Daring Young Mom), Heather (One Woman's World) and 3 kick-butt non-blogging kids, whose real identites are top-secret. Also Grammy to Laylee, The Bean, and Magoo. Most especially, wife to Papa.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Bloom Where You're Planted!

Mother's Day has passed, but the flowers linger on. I got these beauties from my sweet husband:


Picture 079

These were brought to me by my home teachers:


tulips

But most importantly, this corsage appeared in my refrigerator on Saturday night - just in time to be worn to church on Sunday morning.


corsage


When I was a child, the girls in our family (OK there was just my Mom and me) wore a corsage every Mother's Day to honor our mothers. The flower was white if your mother had passed away and pink if she was still living. {I used to always tease that I should wear a RED flower, because my Mother had more life in her than most folks.)

This is one of the many traditions that I've carried over into my own family. We have four darling daughters, so there were flowers galore in our home. For a number of years Nantie Meg made the corsages. But then she went off to college (The nerve of some kids!) and to my surprise and delight, Papa took over. (He buys the corsages instead of making them.) I just wanted to mention that I am so grateful to have a husband who supports my dreams, schemes and even my family's traditions!

On a related note; "manchild" sent an electronic "20 questions" game for Mothers' Day.


20 ?s


It's fun and silly and kind of incredible that a tiny little hand held device could hold sooo much data. Thinking I would stump the computer on this one for sure, the object I thought of was: "husband". The answer it came up with, was: "soul mate". Smart little Goober, eh?

16 Comments:

Blogger Nettie said...

Papa made that? Whoa, not just a master of wood! I love that tradition. Flowers and moms were meant to go together!

12:00 PM  
Blogger Grammy said...

Oh, sorry. No. Megan used to make them. Papa made a trip to the local florist.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

I too love this tradition. I will be letting my husband know about it, absolutely!

1:23 PM  
Blogger Nantie Meg said...

I was so glad when I heard that Papa did that. I felt really guilty when I stopped by the store on Saturday and realized that I hadn't taken care of the corsage situation.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Bright One said...

I JUST gave Nutella and JD one of those 20 questions things to take on their "cross country move!"...it looked fun. I love your corsage tradition....I wish I'd heard of it before all my girls went off to college...you have a great family

2:37 PM  
Blogger Millie said...

My daughters are 10 and almost 2, and I think I'll start a tradition like that at my house. (I guess my husband will be starting it... hee hee)

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that game! :) I also love that Dad got you the corsage.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

You got the 20 questions game???? I want that. I guess I have to be a mom for about a bazillion years before I get something cool like that.

J/k. Dan got me an awesome present - a book on how to get published.

4:54 PM  
Blogger tam said...

ohhh...I LOVE the corsage tradition (i have heard it somewhere before...didn't know anyone still did it!)

And your corsage was BEAUTIFUL! I love orchids. Sorry that it had to be white...

As usual I am very impressed with Papa!

1:04 AM  
Blogger Gabriela said...

What a sweet tradition. Nice husband. Nice home teachers! Mine gave me. . .um, wait a second. . .oh yeah, I haven't seen home teachers in 6 years. Oh well. At least I've got the nice husband part covered.

6:05 AM  
Blogger Goslyn said...

What a wonderul mother's day post! Love the electronic 20 questions.

My family, too, used to do corsages for Mother's day. Our church sold beautiful orchid corsages, and we bought one for my mother every year.

It doesn't seem to be a tradition where I'm living now, though. Maybe I should resurrect that one.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What beautiful flowers that surround you! That is such a neat traditon to wear a corsage to honor mothers. What a great hubby you have to carry on the tradition!

5:39 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

What a great tradition! I love it! It was nice to see you over at my blog the other day! Thanks for visiting. Stop by again sometime! :-)

10:35 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Growing up, we had the same tradition. My husband's father does the same thing for all the girls when we are together on Mother's Day. I love it. You have a great husband.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Tigersue said...

I tried to find some orchids here for my mom and I couldn't. There used to always be orchids for mothers day, what has happened? Or do I don't know how to look for them anymore?

10:24 AM  
Blogger Grammy said...

Oru local grocery stores carry them (just for Mother's Day).

1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home