Grammy Rules

Mother to Kathryn (Daring Young Mom), Heather (One Woman's World) and 3 kick-butt non-blogging kids, whose real identites are top-secret. Also Grammy to Laylee, The Bean, and Magoo. Most especially, wife to Papa.

Saturday, May 06, 2006

I found this poem today:

Friends are like quilts.
Their lives pieced together
Stitched with smiles and tears.
Bound with love and memories
Which last for years
.


In April I had a visit from my dear friend Gabriella and her precious children. To look at the two of us, you would never expect us to be close. She is young. I am old. She is adventurous. I like to play it safe. She is the mother of young children. I am an empty-nesting grandma. She is thin and athletic and stylish and I’m ….. well, NOT. Whenever she comes to visit me, my acquaintances ask if she is my daughter. It’s true that she is closer to their age than to mine. And yet we are good friends. Here is a picture of the two of us sharing one of the many interests we have in common.


Quilting Buddies

I am so thankful for the gift of friendship. That we are able to find people to love and admire, to laugh and to cry with, to share our stories and personalities with, to advise and be guided by, to be helped by and to serve, to share our concerns and interests with, to spend time and make memories with; is a GREAT Blessing!

One of our family mottos is “Home is where we treat our friends like family and our family like friends.” I am so grateful for my FRIENDS – both in and outside of my family. There are so many people who touch my life with love and kindness. I am richer for all of those I have known and loved and shared with.

I am so glad that we are not alone in this adventure we call life!

11 Comments:

Blogger Papa said...

Thanks for being my friend.

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a great motto...mind if I steal that?

9:01 AM  
Blogger Bright One said...

Friends are so important, just another kind of family you know? Well I guess when you think about it we're all "family", sisters, brothers, just children of Heavenly Father.....someday we'll all realize how close we truly are! Thanks for the wonderful post and the picture!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Gabriela said...

Thanks for the sweet post! I treasure our friendship. I have learned so much from you about life, kids, and enduring until the end (and not the middle!). And, besides all of that wisdom you have passed on, you are just so much fun to hang out with!

Love,
Gab

And, you are not old or "not thin", and I am not stylish. I wish I were, but let's be honest here.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Gabriela said...

I meant NOT "not thin". Geesh. Some friend.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Grammy said...

Hey, Gab. I saw all those cute closthes you bought while you were here. Now that's stylish!

3:59 PM  
Blogger Grammy said...

Shannon. Feel free to use the motto. I got it originally from a Current greeting card and framed it for in our kitchen.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Nettie said...

I really like that motto, too! The older I get the more I realize that age has nothing to do with friendship. In fact my favorite friends are the ones that are older than I. They teach me so much by their example.

5:40 AM  
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

You're one of those rare people who can make friends with anyone of any age.

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grammy-Your family motto is absolutely true. I always feel like family in your home and love being there because of that. I hope I can create that same feeling in my home.

10:06 AM  
Blogger tam said...

You always have something so great to say...

or share.

or show.

Thank you for doing that.

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home