Grammy Rules

Mother to Kathryn (Daring Young Mom), Heather (One Woman's World) and 3 kick-butt non-blogging kids, whose real identites are top-secret. Also Grammy to Laylee, The Bean, and Magoo. Most especially, wife to Papa.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

It Was a Dark & Stormy Night...

Ok, technically it was a dark and stormy afternoon. I had gone to a quilting class on the other side of town. “And the rain was POURING down.” It was as gloomy as possible – an ideal day to stay home with a good book and a cup of something warm to go with those Girl Scout cookies.

This is apparently what most of the people who signed up for the class did last Saturday, because we were very few in number; just 4 grandma type people in the whole shop. (The 60+, fragile woman who owns the shop was in the sales center out front. The side workroom was inhabited by 1 teacher and 2 students all in our 50s and clearly the kind who would go in for quilting classes.)

About a ½ hour before closing a young man came in and began wandering aimlessly around the store. Now, it’s not unusual for a man to come in looking for a sewing machine for his wife or sweetheart, but this one didn’t fit the mold. He was in his 20s and a mountain of a man. He spoke to no one and seemed more interested in watching us, than in looking at the sewing machines. It was like he was casing the joint. I SWEAR! He wandered into the work areas and when asked if he was interested in a sewing machine, mumbled something non-committal. And he stayed a LONG time.

Once again, my friends, my spider sense was tingling. We all felt it. Something didn’t seem right about the whole thing. Now maybe, the poor guy had just come in to get out of the rain; but we were feeling none too secure.

At this point, the other woman in my class whispered to us, “Don’t worry. I’m going to get my best friend.” I thought, “Don’t tell me her husband has been sitting out in the car this whole time. What can she be talking about?” She went quietly over to the other side of the room and got her purse, slipped her hand inside and released the safety on her HAND GUN. I am not joking! Grandma lady was preparing to take on the scary man.

Now if you think I was nervous with a frightening man invading our little sewing circle, you must believe it was nothing compared to how I felt thinking of an armed confrontation: Granny vs. Shaft.

Luckily for us all, he abruptly turned and walked out of the shop. The store keeper slipped the deadbolt on the front door. The safety went back on “old Betsy” and log cabin squares were successfully completed.

Only in TEXAS, I tell you. Only in TEXAS!!!

20 Comments:

Blogger Bright One said...

Too Funny!!! The world is full of wierd and scary people huh? (I'm talking about BOTH the guy and the grandma with a gun! : ) ) You never would have convinced me that quilting classes could be that exciting! AND it has the added advantage of making a GREAT blog story!

8:46 AM  
Blogger GiBee said...

Oh, my goodness, and who knew there was so much excitement to be found in a quilting class!

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom- I'm so glad you didn't get shot!! Doesn't it remind you of all the situations people told us to look out for before we moved to Texas?

12:42 PM  
Blogger sweet mama entropy said...

That was the perfect blend of hilarity and downright scariness! There is indeed A LOT about living in Texas that one must adjust to! Aren't you glad you're blogging now and can share with all of us :)

1:32 PM  
Blogger Regina said...

Grammy! I think you're spidey sense was right on that night! He probably thought the quilt store would be easy pickings! I never think guns are a good idea but in this case, you never know what could have happened! I am glad you are all safe!

3:27 PM  
Blogger Donnetta said...

Wow! I came over to say thanks so very much for stopping by "my quiet corner" and also commenting. Your words were so uplifting and encouraging! I appreciate it!

Then I get the distinct pleasure on my visit here to read your thrilling, edge of the seat encounter. Who knew quilting could make one's adrenaline soar?
WOW!!

4:30 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Who knew that quilting could be so dangerous?! The most that has happened to me is sticking myself one too many times with a needle or losing my thread. I hope that experience does not repeat itself though and your fellow quilters will not have to possibly pistal whip or confront anyone like that again. Yikes. Be safe, down there in Texas.:)

6:51 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Wow! Maybe we'll need to start calling in the quilting bandidos when you go a -sewing! Thank goodness for God's protection of all of you. Thanks for making my evening a little more exciting.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So the first thing that comes to mind is how scary and I'm so glad nothing happened!

My second thought it is, whoa, you just never know who's carrying a gun anywhere you go.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Goslyn said...

LOL. Wow, no kidding. This is quite a Texas tale. So glad you have a blog, too. I love DYMs, and her dad's blogs ... nice that you've joined the party!

Thanks for stopping by!

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh mom- I just thought of something. DO you remember the number one rule of quilting? You taught it to me when I kept stabbing myself with the needle. ... Don't bleed on the quilt

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you hadn't said "only in Texas," I would have. Holy dinah of the scary defender Granny. :)

4:42 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

Oh, that is hilarious! For some reason my aggregator didn't pick this up until now. Oh, man. I love that lady in the sewing store with her "best friend." Too funny.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

That is too, too funny! Imagine what that Granny would have done if the man had actually *gasp* tried to steal a quilted square! SO glad you are safe! ;)

11:13 AM  
Blogger Daring Young Dad said...

Yowza!

I can see that exciting-description-writing skeelz run in your family.

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea quilter ladies were so tough!! I hope the rest of the class went okay!
I love you!

7:22 PM  
Blogger Gabriela said...

Great story Elin. Who thought going to a quilting class could be so exicting!

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Granny!!! Did you ask her what kind of gun it was. The fact that she disengaged a safety suggests it may have been a 1911 compact. Being that I carry a 1911 these days your story warms my heart.

Details mom details...

your loving son

6:07 PM  
Blogger someone else said...

Scary, scary!

I noticed in your profile that you have 5 brothers. So do I. Not too many of us out there. I enjoyed reading today.

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my gosh. that lady is hilarious. straight out of a bad movie, "don't worry. I'll get my 'best friend.'" HA! Can't wait to tell my husband this one.
(Yeah, we're Texans.)

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home