Grammy Rules

Mother to Kathryn (Daring Young Mom), Heather (One Woman's World) and 3 kick-butt non-blogging kids, whose real identites are top-secret. Also Grammy to Laylee, The Bean, and Magoo. Most especially, wife to Papa.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Piecing Life Together

A while ago I took my serger in for service. It’s a very specialized machine and I had to go clear across town (well outside my freeway comfort) to have it fixed. What I found was not so much a sewing machine store - as a social club.

In the back of the shop were a bunch of work tables where some friendly women were just hanging around, working on projects and visiting. Intrigued, I came to find out that they teach all kinds of sewing workshops there and on a whim I signed up for “Quilting 101”. (a 4 week course starting December 4th teaching: 4 different squares, sashing, cornerstones, machine quilting, and binding)

After 3 classes, I was successfully assimilated. “Resistance is futile.”
NEVER have I taken to something so quickly and so completely. I am addicted! This is the baby quilt that I made during that class (mistakes included at no extra charge).

baby quilt

The day I finished this course, I signed up for the “Yellow Brick Road” class. It’s taking me longer to complete because for some strange reason I decided to hand quilt this one, as you can see….it’s still on the lap frame.

work in progress

Right after Christmas I joined the church quilting group that meets weekly. As soon as I walked in the door, it was, “Bwaa-haa-haaa, another compulsive quilter to join in the fun.” They were just starting their annual “friendship quilt” and were excited to have another contributor. We each picked a different star to make (my choice was easy, since I only knew one at the time). We bought fabric for our own quilt, which gets passed around each Thursday until we’ve all made a star out of each person’s fabric. We got to give specific instructions if we wanted to. (Mine are that each square is to have the cream colored background and have at least a little blue fabric in each star.) In April we get our own bags back with 16 completed blocks to use in putting together our own quilts.

Those girls also got me signed up at the local quilting shop for “quilt of the month” club. Starting in January we can get instructions and fabric for 1 block a month. The 1st one was $10 and the subsequent blocks are free, if we come to the next month’s class with the completed block from the previous month. We can also buy “bonus blocks” each month if we want to make a full sized quilt. As a “piecing junkie”, I – of course – had to do them all. Here’s what I’ve got so far.

batik snowball

batik

batik star

huge square

Then I bought some books and here are my first 2 independent experiments. I’m just using scrap fabrics from my stash. Maybe I’ll make pillows from them.

patriotic star

heart

Another thing I’m doing that I think is fun is making an extra square from each quilt I do, so that someday I can put them together into one wild quilt that is a history of my quilting career. So far I’ve got these 2.

yellow brick road

flying geese


This week I have a class on Thursday at the church and another on Saturday back at the original place – which oddly enough isn’t a bit out of my comfort zone anymore. Now you can understand why I have my new toy. It is amazing to me how much better my work is turning out with a precise tool. I am having the time of my life.

I only wish I had discovered this hobby while my mother was still alive. She was a wonderful quilter and really loved the handwork from assembling, to quilting to binding. Other people used to embroider, appliqué or piece quilts and hire Mom to do the finish work. I love choosing the fabric and the creativity of putting the pieces together, but the actual quilting is a lot like work to me. We would have been a great team. I can’t help but think she would be so tickled to know I’m doing this and loving it just like she did.

18 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

I just started quilting the last year or so with my mother-in-law. It is the most fun. My first project alone is almost done. It is a crazy quilt for my daughter. For me, it is so relaxing and something totally different to do from the normal day-to-day stuff. Your projects look awesome. You are very talented.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Papa said...

Hey everybody. Did you know that Grammy talks to herself while she quilts. I'm downstairs and I can hear her up in the quilting room having a full conversation with herself. Either that or there's a pet rabbit named Harvey in the house.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Love the block with the heart. I could see that as a whole quilt. My mom also quilts, and it's something I've thought about taking up myself sometime. Tell Papa that geniuses talk to themselves, fools answer themselves.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

I love that you've picked up this cool new hobby. This is the first I've seen of your stuff. It looks awesome. I call dibs on the heart pillow. :)

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you've finally started!! Let's trade project ideas, and maybe someday I'll finish the oner I started for you!!

10:15 PM  
Blogger Grammy said...

Of course I talk to myself. There's nobody else up there. Sheesh!

1:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cooking, baking, canning, sewing, scrapbooking, sock-making, child-whispering, service-giving, etc, etc. I always thought it was weird you didn't quilt! And now, look, you are a pro!Not surprising really. Your quilts look great. You have to teach me how to do aplique when I come to visit.

10:43 AM  
Blogger blackbird said...

I love that you are keeping a square from each of your projects - that's going to be SOME quilt!

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't imagine the fight among the siblings for possession of the quilt with all your random blocks. That will be PRICELESS. What an amazing hobby. I'm so proud of you, learning forever.

5:44 PM  
Blogger tam said...

wow, I like you, I really like you! First, your name is Grammy, this is what I call my Grammy and I adore her, she quilts, she cans, she loves her grand and great grandbabies, she sews, I don't think she'll ever blog...ebay is pushing her limits. Well, and you are much younger than she, thank you for welcoming me to this world and I am glad you came too!

We have many like interests and pursuits...my husband and I are already excited about being grandparents someday and we have a good oh, 15+ years yet!

8:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is something I really want to learn to do. Keep us updated on your accomplishments!!!

9:16 PM  
Blogger Bright One said...

I am sooooo wanting to learn to quilt, my step-mom did a beautiful quilt for me for Christmas a couple of years ago ... a log cabin quilt (we live in a log cabin) in the center block she pieced together an actual replica of our house! What made it even more special was that she commissioned our then 13 year old daughter to draw her a picture of our log cabin so she could make the block, she had that drawing copied onto a white cloth square and sewed it to the reverse side of the quilt....There is just no end to how creative a quilt can be, I'm sure there must be somewhere I can take classes to learn but I haven't discovered them yet and I'm a little intimidated by what the start up cost might be for boards, cutters, all that stuff I see at the store...

6:14 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

My mom quilts, too, and has been involved in quilting groups on the east coast, so it's fun to hear your excitement about it! I still sleep with one of her quilts on my bed that she made for me back when I graduated from high school...

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever seen or read the musical Quilters? It's a period piece about women and, well, quilting that's well worth finding the soundtrack to.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Regina said...

Wow, Grammy- that is great! My husband took a qulting class and was the only guy but he loved it! Thanks for showing us your new hobby!

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom, you are so amazing. those are absolutly beautiful. how talented are you that you just picked that up!

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how cool mom. I love your projects

8:51 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I just have to comment again. Just have to. Those squares are utterly amazing, every time I look at them.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home