Grammy Rules

Mother to Kathryn (Daring Young Mom), Heather (One Woman's World) and 3 kick-butt non-blogging kids, whose real identites are top-secret. Also Grammy to Laylee, The Bean, and Magoo. Most especially, wife to Papa.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Big, Fat, HAIRY Deal:

I got a perm yesterday. Now I recognize that perms are passé. But when you have baby-fine, poker straight hair (like mine) that won’t hold a set if you pay it cash {or in this case, very expensive styling products}; you’ll pretty much do whatever it takes.

It seems like I have been struggling with my hair for as long as I can remember. When I was a very little girl, I used to spend part of every Saturday night sitting on the living room floor watching Lawrence Welk while my mother rolled my hair up on flannel rag strips to get me ready for Sunday school the next day.

From those, I graduated to “Spoolies”. Are any of you old enough to remember those? Spoolies were pink rubber rollers. When they were wound up and snapped together, the resembled a hundred little Martian space craft orbiting my head. Rags were softer to sleep on…………….. but "SPOOLIES" were COOL!

pinknbrn_spoolies

When I was about 4, Mom suggested that it was probably time to get my first hair cut. I was pretty excited about it, too. But my older brothers were against the whole thing. One of them (who shall remain nameless here to protect the guilty) tried as hard as he could to talk me out of it, but I was determined. Mom said that I sat there looking more like I was occupying the electric chair, than the seat of honor in a beauty salon. As they made the initial cut, I broke into a huge smile and said, “Why that doesn’t hurt a bit!” Apparently, big brother had told me “Honey, you don’t want to get your hair cut. You know how much it hurts when you cut your finger? Well there is so much hair, it’ll be even worse than that.” And I believed him and still wanted to be beautiful badly enough to face the pain.

Maybe it was my determination to look pretty that swayed her, but Mom went all out that day and shelled out a hard-earned $8 to have it styled as well. On the way home we stopped to show Aunt Roberta – not home, Aunt Greta – not home, and Aunt Louise – also not home. So Mom sat me on the top step to look pretty for Daddy when he got back from work. Unfortunately, before he could arrive and see me in all my glory, big brother had turned the hose on me. So much for glamour!

By 1st grade my hair was long again and worn in braids, which I apparently had a hard time keeping out of my mouth. Momma told me if I didn’t stop chewing on my pigtails, she would cut them off. My Momma was not big on idle threats. By 2nd grade I was back to a short cut.

Recently I told a couple of my brothers that I distinctly remember Mom telling me that she was sorry that I looked so ugly, but that she only knew how to do “boy hair”. They disputed this, saying Mother would NEVER, EVER have said I looked ugly. They are probably right. (Mom was an encourager, never one to put anyone down.) She probably said that my hair style looked “unfortunate” or that she was sorry it turned out “like that”. But what my heart heard was “ugly”.

This is the tip of the hair style night mare, iceberg. There was the “trim” Mom gave my very long hair while I was practicing the piano. “No, I didn’t need to stop. Keep playing.” I must have been a high energy piano player, because the hair kept getting shorter and shorter and crooked-er and crooked-er, until she had to take me to someone to “fix the damage”. That ended up as a pixie cut.

Or the 1st haircut of my teenage years, where my sister-in-law misjudged the distance and gave me ½ way up the forehead bangs.

There was the time I got a perm the day before I was a bride’s maid at my cousin’s wedding and they forgot to put on the neutralizer – effectively giving me a “permanent straight” instead of a “permanent wave”.

All things considered, my hair and I have not ever been best friends, but it’s a relationship I’m willing to keep working on. After all, the alternative is not a pertty picture. And the perm is actually not bad at all…..

14 Comments:

Blogger Bright One said...

I'm so glad you're back! I've missed reading your blog! Anyway you brought back some "good?" or at least "memorable" moments for me....BRUSH ROLLERS....THE WORST for sleeping ever! I do remember spoolies but hated them...made me fuzzy all over. I look at my pics from elementary school and I think I look like a 30 year old in a bad sitcom! Anyway, thanks for the memories and the chuckles! You're great.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Papa said...

I hear Ya! My beard is always givin' me fits! Fits, I tell Ya, Fits!!!!

8:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey- I had some spoolies when I was little. I think my mom found them at a yard sale. I loved how curly they made my hair. :) But yes, not so comfy for sleeping.

8:39 PM  
Blogger sweet mama entropy said...

I used to sleep with foam rollers in my hair. I think I secretly wanted to be Shirley Temple (inconvenient for the one rolling since my hair was as long as Princess Leia's).

But usually I'm the one causing hair trauma on others. Like when I begged my mom to let me cut my little sister's bangs - perfectly straight, but I didn't stop until I got to her ear. And when I forgot to put the guard on the trimmers before starting in on my husband's hair - quite the buzz. And I won't even talk about my son's hair - but does it count if he won't sit still?

I'm glad your latest hairdo makes a passing grade!

6:36 AM  
Blogger Gabriela said...

I had no idea of your hair trials! I have had two. First, trying to cut my own hair while I was home sick one day from school in 7th grade. My mom had to take me to get it "fixed" and I ended up with the buzz on top and on the sides and scraggly long down the back (I'm sure you can picture it). And second, my mom offerred to "highlight" my hair in 8th grade. Well highlighted=frosted. I was the only 8th grader with white hair. Tough years, tough years.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Nantie Meg said...

I remember the day I chopped my hair into a boy cut, and you sat in the chair next to me and cringed and cried. Also all the years of sponge rollers on sunday nights. Yay!

11:51 AM  
Blogger Goslyn said...

I so know what you mean about the hair. I have babyfine straight hair too. Won't hold a curl to save my life.

Glad the perm worked out for you. I cringe at the thought, but as long as your happy!

Glad you're blogging again, too!

10:36 AM  
Blogger someone else said...

Oh, oh, the memories! I actually have a few of those spoolies stashed away in a drawer somewhere. I remember those horrible perms (see my post about Bad Hair Days), I used the little pink piggie-sausage rubber curlers (cousins to the spoolies), the foam curlers, the brush curlers (ouch! they KNOTTED and FRAYED my hair), the bobby pins, the hot rollers, etc., etc. (Are we all that old? 'fraid so) Oh what we have gone through. If our children only knew - uphill both ways in 3 feet of snow! Thanks for a good laugh down memory lane. I'll be back.

And thanks for the nice visit to my blog.

10:54 AM  
Blogger JD said...

That is it!!! I am going for the PERM. I have been debating it for long enough. Next Pay check and it is Perm Day!!!
Great Post!

11:41 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

My mom used to tie my hair in rags, but I always ended up with a bell shaped blonde fro.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Donnetta said...

AH yes, the foam pink curlers that snap. I didn't realize they were called "spoilies". I love it when I can learn something new. :-)

7:31 AM  
Blogger tam said...

My own "grammy" has terribly baby fine hair too. (you are much younger than shee!!!) When i was young she used to tell me she was going to sneak in while I slept and steal some of my hair since I had so much (i am at the opposite of fine hair spectrum..i have too much, yes BIG hair) and put it on her head.

It scared me when I was very young, got a bit older and had the vision of my thick coarse hair sticking up straight through the baby fine thin hair and didn't know why she would want that either!


Glad you finally posted...I love your comments around town!

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're back, too. :) Although I am one of the lucky ones who gets you all the time. I love you in a perm. I love it.

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember the pink sponge curlers. I loved those! I also was willing to suffer through a night with a bumpy head just to have curles for picture day!
I love you!

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home