Grammy Rules

Mother to Kathryn (Daring Young Mom), Heather (One Woman's World) and 3 kick-butt non-blogging kids, whose real identites are top-secret. Also Grammy to Laylee, The Bean, and Magoo. Most especially, wife to Papa.

Friday, February 17, 2006

A Few of My Favorite Things

Of all the jobs I’ve ever had, my very favorite was teaching pre-school in Denver. I worked at a Methodist Church which employed an amazing staff of teachers from all different Christian denominations. It was a blessing in my life to know each of the dedicated women on staff and to work with them to make a difference in the lives of the children. We had a director who was warm and helpful and who became more of a cherished friend than a boss.

At the end of one school year, as part of our teacher appreciation gifts, she gave us each a “gratitude journal”. We were encouraged to record 5 things that we were thankful for each day. What a difference that little book made to me. I think I’ve always been a pretty positive person and have appreciated the blessings in my life, but keeping the journal made finding new things to be grateful for each day a priority. I spent my time actively looking for things to be positive about. And it was fun.

I was thinking of that yesterday and began making a mental list of simple pleasures that make me happy.

I like: candle-lit bubble baths

the smell of bread baking

the feel of a new-born baby in my arms (grandbabies are as good as my own)

ellie's blessing

the sound of “I love you.” or my name on my husband’s lips

classical guitar music

kisses under the mistletoe

mistletoe kisses

the feel of just shaved legs on freshly washed sheets

chocolate

the sound of excitement or laughter in my children’s voices

sunshine days

bare feet in warm beach sand (These are DYM's and Laylee's)

beach toes

going high on the swings at the park

swinger

the sound of rain on the roof

cinnamon rolls still warm from the oven with cream cheese icing

seeing an American flag flying in the breeze

new socks (If I were very, very rich I would have new socks every day.)

my true love’s kisses on the back of my neck

the singing of “Oh Canada”

the smell of a campfire

hearing the blessed story read from Luke 2 each Christmas Eve

lunch eaten @ the teahouse at Lake Agnes (after the killer hike to get up that mountain, EVERYTHING tastes wonderful there)

autumn leaves to jump in or rustle through

sitting in the hot tub on a cool evening

getting to curl up with a good book and a blanket on a chilly afternoon

the sound of canning bottles popping as they seal

canned tomatoes

Rita’s water ice gellatis (This is a Jersey treat pronounced “wooder ice’.)

Big fluffy snowflakes

making something that turns out well (Get a load of those Christmas pajamas!)

Christmas jammies

Philly cheese-steaks

a romantic movie

a squeaky clean house

Oh, Enough already! I could go on forever. After all I have a gratitude journal full of this stuff.

Now I want to hear what makes you happy? It’s time to share.

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I just love these. I especially love the kids in jammies. Too cute.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

You make me happy. I love walking in the rain. I love the beethoven. I love Dan's hand on the small of my back. I love a smile from a stranger.

10:34 PM  
Blogger blackbird said...

lists!

I LOVE lists!

earl grey tea
wind storms
the ocean
the smell of coppertone

4:34 AM  
Blogger owlhaven said...

Let's see...
--Lotioning and dressing a baby in front of the fire after a bath.
--Sitting around the dining room table with my husband and all my children.
--Rocking a sleeping baby
--First sip of coffee in the morning
--oh, and I love canning too.. that 'ping' of a sealed jar is very satisfying, as is looking at a pantry full of goodies.

Mary

7:33 AM  
Blogger Daring Young Dad said...

I love... Grammies!

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love:

Hot summer evenings, right after the sun goes down.
Lightning hitting the water
Cinnamon doughnuts
Nuzzles on my neck from my cats
Fluffy clouds painted pink and orange by the sunset
Any art made by my kids
Old photos
The musty smell of antique books
And of course, big huge bear hugs from my husband and daughters

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a little late but...
I love:
-finding just the right words for a situation
-the movies I loved as a kid on a stressful day: Annie, anything with the Muppets, Anne of Green Gables...
-a hot bath
-a slow morning, getting in and out of the tub, in and out of bed with the paper, listening to music
-hugs from the kids I work with
-hour long phone calls with my mom
-the ocean or the pool or a hot bath or a hot tub....water....boats...
-the way my grandmother always calls Mount Rainier "Mountain Rainier" and sends me a letter every week that's mostly about what produce is in season at her farmer's market
-music -- especially singning with my family

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love -

-Playing games with my family

-Cape May New Jersey

-Laughing so hard that you cry.

-Cuddling up to my dad and letting all my problems disappear. Suddenly, its like I'm 5 years old again.

-Getting my hair washed

-Finding the genealogical record I've been looking for

-Hearing Mom and dad tell stories

-Seeing Mom and Dad kissing in the kitchen

-Knowing that my dad loves my mom more than anything

-Knowing my mom loves my dad more than anything

-Going home

7:26 PM  
Blogger Bright One said...

I just successfully retrieved your blog after having lost it (I've now added a link on my site as I find you very uplifting to read).
Anyway, that's my excuse for being SO late to post....

I'm NOT a grandma (yet!) but I'm Nutella's (Ciao, Bella) mom and we're keeping our fingers crossed for her to have some happy news soon. I too have hoped to find some "grandmother types" to include on my blog list so am happy to find yours (through reading your daughters...she's great!)

Anyway....my favorite things...hmmm

Baby daughters (I had three)
Grown up daughters
Wonderful husbands
Warm Bread with honey (from Wyoming only)
Chocolate!
A warm fire with lots of snap,crackle,pop
Purring kitties
Fireflies (especially the first of the season)
Stars in a perfectly clear sky over a huge midwest field of nothing
A HUGE thunderstorm at night
Sunday's quiet...monday's chaos
A teenager who still hugs me

2:07 PM  
Blogger Grammy said...

I love all of your comments. You remind me of a whole lot of other things that I also love. Isn't sharing great?

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's enough to bring me back to this site over and over to remember what wonderful feels like.

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mommy/grammy

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home