Grammy Rules

Mother to Kathryn (Daring Young Mom), Heather (One Woman's World) and 3 kick-butt non-blogging kids, whose real identites are top-secret. Also Grammy to Laylee, The Bean, and Magoo. Most especially, wife to Papa.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Works for Me Wednesday

I have mentioned before that I am really into organization. Here's the system I've developed for my freezer.

freezer

I keep only meat and bread in my deep freeze. Vegetables, fruits, ice cream, butter, etc go in my fridge freezer. This way, I always know where to look for which items.

The contents of my freezer are organized into baskets. Each basket has a laminated label card, attached with plastic cable ties. Although the baskets take up a bit of room, I can always tell at a glance what I am running low on and everything is rotated regularly so that I never lose meat to freezer burn. As soon as I come home from the grocery store with meat, I pull out the appropriate basket and turn it upside down on the counter. I put the fresh meat into ziplocks in the bottom of the basket and put the older meat back in on top.

On the door I keep, bacon, sausages, hot dogs, bagels, english muffins and bread. The bacon I load at the back and pull from the front. Everything else is fed from the right and taken out from the left, so we are sure to use things in the order in which they were purchased.

It took about 20 minutes to print the cards, laminate them, attach them to the baskets and organize them in the freezer. And we've been using it like this for almost 4 years.

It works for me!

21 Comments:

Blogger Gabriela said...

Aaaaa, Grammy at her organizational best! Love the pic! Got any of those tasty little muffins in there? I am craving those. Love, Gabs.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

What a great way to keep your freezer tidy and rotate your food properly. I love this system and may try it when I next defrost my freezer. I'll come and visit you again soon...
(My tip is up)

4:22 PM  
Blogger someone else said...

Oh my goodness!! NO ONE should have a freezer that looks that orderly! I'm so impressed. Wanna come organize me???

5:39 PM  
Blogger Bright One said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I am so totally impressed I should just type this whole comment in caps! You are amazing! (P.S. we buy the same brand of Chicken Breasts!) : ) Also I was SO impressed that I had to show this pic to HH, he said "Tell her it looks great but where does she keep her racoon hides till her husband sends them off to the furrier?" Now you understand what I'm contending with! Go Girl!

6:09 PM  
Blogger WarriorWife said...

That is without doubt THE MOST ORGANIZED freezer I have EVER EVER seen in my entire life!

You deserve some kind of award for something that organized.

That's amazing, and such a good system for rotating the meat.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

I love your freezer. My freezer was given away (we could not take it on one of our longer moves back East) and I need to get a new one. I had a chest freezer and did the same thing with baskets. It makes things so much more orderly.

6:31 PM  
Blogger kelly jeanie said...

What a great idea! My freezer is such a mess. Thanks!

8:02 PM  
Blogger Blackeyedsue said...

Grammy, I am laughing so hard at the comment you made on my blog about us being alike. I looked at this picture and about fell off my chair! I am sending you a picture I took of my pantry that I am using for next weeks WFMW, and you will know why.

My pantry looks like this, guess what my project is for tomorrow.

9:26 PM  
Blogger sweet mama entropy said...

My aspiration in life is to one day be as organized as your freezer is (and doubtless, the rest of your house as well). Right now I'd settle for just one room that wasn't a child-toy-strewn, tripping-hazard area. Oh well. One day. That freezer is awesome though!!

7:28 AM  
Blogger Alicia said...

Holy cow, you are my HERO.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Full Contact, Savior-centric Livin said...

Wow! Impressive!

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so surprised. I would have thought the chicken breast bin would have been labeled White Meat.

8:48 AM  
Blogger tam said...

WOW! LOVE THAT!

My freezer is very similar...guess what I'll be doing very soon?

Yep! Organizing my freezer! Whoo hoo...love to organize...

Thanks for the GREAT idea Grammy!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Nantie Meg said...

Oh, I miss our freezer!!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

I'm really glad you included the part about what you keep in the fridge freezer. It was starting to look like you and Dad are carnivores. Scarey.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Nettie said...

That is so great! No more booby trapped freezers and resulting bruised toes for me. Thank you, Grammy!

12:21 PM  
Blogger the lizness said...

wow you have a lot of food but you have a lot of freezer too. we only have the freezer at the top of the fridge, but I organize mine too (just not with baskets)

Ice cream to the left, right, and center, and food in the door.

KIDDING! I'm kidding.

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And this is why you amaze me sometimes. I just chuck stuff in, and hope to find it again one day! :) I love the system, I'm just not quite that dedicated. :) Maybe someday it will happen to me, too... the organizational wizardry!

3:49 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

I can't see the picture...
Do you want to email it to me?

jimandjane5@msn.com

1:26 AM  
Blogger Daring Young Dad said...

It really is like that--I just checked!

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! What a good idea! You are the best! Sure glad to know you!

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home