Grammy Rules

Mother to Kathryn (Daring Young Mom), Heather (One Woman's World) and 3 kick-butt non-blogging kids, whose real identites are top-secret. Also Grammy to Laylee, The Bean, and Magoo. Most especially, wife to Papa.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

I'm Baaaacckkk!

Having been
- nudged by Bowersita (who’s nearly my daughter)
“umm Grammy, Are you ever going to post anything ever again?”
- tagged by Nantie Meg (my actual daughter) and Gabriella (my dear friend)
- and inspired by Bright One (my blogger-buddy) I am finally back with :


6 Weird Things About Me


This was a hard post to write, because there are simply so many to choose from. Do you really want to know about my sense of humor (inherited from my Mom), my propensity to talk to inanimate objects, the fact that I turn most household chores into a game, or any of my other odd habits? Probably not! But here goes anyway.

1. I am 52 years old and have my own security blanket. Mind you, it’s not a raggedy old “woobie” or “kiki” that I drag around wherever I go. It’s a perfectly presentable cotton thermal blanket that lives between my top sheet and comforter. What makes it a security blanket is that I just seem to sleep better when I can feel it against my cheek. Weird? Of course, that’s how it made it onto this list.

2. I am 52 years old and I have no compunction at all about sharing my age. In fact I’m kind of proud of it. Remember when we were kids and people would ask us how old we were. It was always 7 & ½ or almost 10. Somehow I just never got over that.

Maybe it’s because I’m still not very mature. Or maybe it’s because I was a sickly child and the doctor told my Mom that if I lived to be 12, I would likely live to grow up. Well, now I’m grown up (or at least old). I’ve arrived at my goal. Or maybe it’s because my Honey gives such great birthday presents.

3. When I snore (which I promise is very rarely) Papa says that I do it backward. Instead of rumbling when I inhale, I whistle when I exhale. This is only hearsay, you understand. I don’t know it firsthand – as I’ve always slept through it.

4. My “actual” name (aside from Grammy) is Elizabeth Elin, but I’ve always gone by Elin. That’s just who I am. I like the name Elizabeth, but it just doesn’t feel like me. It still kills me to fill out dr. forms, etc with my first name. I swear that I was marked absent for 3 ½ years of college classes because I never responded to Elizabeth. And yet, when I do something really stupid or un-coordinated, I always berate myself with a derivation of it. As in, “Smooth Move Lizzie”. Yup, I am always Lizzie when I am dumb!

5. Papa (the love of my life) says that one of the weirdest things about me is the way I take pills. Apparently the majority of the world throws the meds in and washes them down with a quick drink. Who knew? I always fill my mouth with water, tip my head back, drop the pills in and let them sink to the back of the throat before swallowing. Now, that’s wise use of gravity my friends! And I never have to taste the pills, because they are surrounded by water at all times. It just makes sense to me.

6. I LOVE to organize things! It’s fun! I like the way things look when they are filed or stacked away neatly. I love a system that makes my life more efficient. It makes me happy to know that everything has it’s own place and that I can find it when I want it. And labeling things (not people) is an uplifting experience.

3 of my very good friends showed up on my doorstep early in the morning of my
last birthday (Did I mention that I was 52?) with the ultimate label maker. What a great birthday present that was! I labeled the drawers on my sewing organizer, my photo album supply organizers, my scrapbooking and stamping organizers and my quilting patterns. I used up a whole roll of printer tape and had a happy and productive day.

Ok, there you have it in a nutshell.

Am I weird? Probably.
Can I live with that? Yes, very comfortably.

Have a great day! Let yourself be yourself! It’s liberating!

14 Comments:

Blogger Gabriela said...

Yay!!! You're back!

I did not know your name was really Elizabeth! Interesting.

I LOVE your organization. To me it is not weird, but beautiful. And I am so loving the label maker.

We miss you! The kids are suffereing from major Caleb withdrawls.

(p.s.) did you find that new t-shirt I got that says "Greece" on it at your house? I can't find it and I actually miss it.

6:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is EXACTLY how my Hubs takes pills, and I'm always telling him no one else in the world does it that way. I guess I'll have to stop that now! :)

6:27 AM  
Blogger Papa said...

Actually, when you snore, you don't whistle on the exhale, you rumble. Most people rumble on the inhale and whistle on the exhale. You just rumble. No whistling. If the two of us slept together in the Bronx, it would be the "Rumble in the Bronx".

Also, just so everyone know's, Grammy thought that if I found out about all her wierdness, I wouldn't want to be married to her anymore. Well, NEWSFLASH.... We've been married coming up on 31 years, and I already knew about all these things, and I'm still here. Nothing new here folks, Move along!!!!

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, yes. Glory in your weirdness. I'm glad you're back!

Love you!
Heather

9:57 AM  
Blogger Nantie Meg said...

Grammy-
Didn't you also label Papa with the lable maker. Maybe you didn't actually do it, but the thought of seeing dad with "Husband" across his forehead makes me giggle.

So glad you're back!! Love you!

2:26 PM  
Blogger Goslyn said...

Grammy, I'm SO glad you're back! (Or maybe I should call you Elin, since we're not related in any way ...)

I, too, sip water first then pop the pills. I thought I was the only one. I've tried to convert my husband to this method - I like it because you NEVER have to taste the pills - but he just thinks I'm weird.

So glad you're posting again!

7:20 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Glad you're back! You're not that weird. I use flannel sheets, and I always have to have it folded over the blanket at night so I can only feel the flannel against my cheek : )

Don't stop blogging. I love to read what you have to say!

If I get to be 52, I want to be a 52 like you!

8:02 AM  
Blogger Rachelle said...

what a fun read!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

I always remember you taking pills like that. It's funny but those things didn't seem that weird to me. Maybe it's because my MOM does them.

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you're wierd, because it makes you comfortable to be around. You are the GREATEST mother-in-law a girl could ever have! How did I get so lucky to love the man I married SOO MUCH, and then come to find out that I Love his family too!
Thanks-a-million for being WIERD!

8:44 PM  
Blogger Grammy said...

Nantie Meg, just to clarify. It is true that I labeled your Dad with my new toy, but let me explain why it was completely justified.

I had the label maker on my wish list, but Dad was hesitant to get it for me. He teased me that I would get carried away (me? I ask you?) and start labeling everything in sight. Somehow he didn't feel comfortable with the idea of walking around covered in stickers identifying various body parts: earlobe, elbow, chin...
Sheeesh!

So, obviously, the first label I printed had to say "husband". When he came home from work that day, I joyfully greeted him with a kiss and a paper strip accross the forehead. (What more could any man ask for?)

8:47 AM  
Blogger Bright One said...

I LOVE YOUR STUFF!!! You are just the funniest and I am SO glad you're back. I am also glad you're old like me! (I'm 50 and having a hard time saying it but much happier to be 50 than prematurely dead I always say!)Oh, and since someone tagged me for a meme I tagged you.....can't wait to read all about you!

2:57 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

I am so glad you are back. Loved your weird list of things. The more I read those lists by other people the less weird I feel about mine. I think we all have more in common than we think. It is good to see you back.:)

8:33 PM  
Blogger Nettie said...

That's so funny you labeled your husband. Your family must be so fun to hang out with. (And I love the name Elizabeth. My daughter is "Elisabeth" to avoid the whole Lizzie thing, though.)

5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home