Grammy Rules

Mother to Kathryn (Daring Young Mom), Heather (One Woman's World) and 3 kick-butt non-blogging kids, whose real identites are top-secret. Also Grammy to Laylee, The Bean, and Magoo. Most especially, wife to Papa.

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Visiting Firemen

I am a long distance Grammy. This is not by choice. It's just that the grand-kidlets live in Washington and Utah, while Papa and I call Texas "home".

From the beginning we have done all we could to build relationships from afar. Framed 5x7 glossies of us, at our finest, grace the dressers of all 3rd generationists. We send cards or packages quite frequently. We started calling to talk with them from the time their parents were willing to hold a phone up to their dear little ears. (At first, of course, they just want to eat the reciever. Next they speak gibberish for long periods of time. Then just as they get old enough to carry on a resonable conversation, they are suddenly "too busy to talk to Grammy now.") But we persist!

One way that I have been really blessed is that I've been able to be with each of them for some time at the very beginning of their lives. It's let me be of some help to the new mothers, but mostly it's let me hold them and bond & bond & bond! Here are some pictures taken during those sweet interludes:


Me with Laylee

laylee lay

Beanie & me

Beanie in sunlight

Magoo & Laylee with me in the center


gram laylee magoo

Do you notice anything similar about these pictures?

Yup! In each case one we are laying down! We didn't get much sleep in those days, so we took every chance we could to get friendly with horizontal surfaces!

These last 2 weeks (when I haven't blogged at all) Laylee & Magoo - oh yeah, and their parents have been at our house. I've been able to be an up close and personal Grammy! It is so much more fun! It also takes so much more time, energy and verticality.

We have visited the "Quarium" ( with all of it's wildlife and amusement rides),

aquarium train

"Enchilada Town", several ice cream shops and Charles E. Cheese's fine establishment. (I don't know him nearly well enough yet to call him "Chuck.")

Laylee & Chuck

We have shopped - mostly at "the HEB buddie store". HEB is our favorite local grocery store, but until 2 weeks ago, I had no idea how truly exceptional it was. Before then I just thought they had really good produce and decent prices.....but that is not all, my friend. No, that is not all! They give little children "buddie bucks" with which to play games to win points toward prizes. So far laylee has gotten 2 outstanding sippy cups, 2 beach balls and a box of chocolate chip "buddie cookies". I'm telling you, this is 3 year old excitement!


We have baked and done playdough, paints & sidewalk chalk. We have spent hours playing in the swimming pool and watching Disney movies. We've read loads of story books played a bunch of games, encouraged 1 year old exploring and walking . We have hugged and smooched and tickled. And we have talked.

3 in pool

Mostly we have spent our time upright, but honestly some of my favorite memories have been those times cuddling in my "big bed".

big bed

Last Saturday morning (when Papa had already left for his early morning excercise and everyone else was still sleep) Laylee climbed in with me. Our conversation started out like it does every morning:

L: "What day is today?"
me: "Saturday"
L: "What's it to do?"

{Here's where it became day specific.}

me: "Well, after breakfast this morning I have to go to my quilting class for a little while."

At this point, my little sweetheart wrapped her arms around my neck, buried her face in my shoulder and cried real tears. "Grammy, don't go without ME!"

I can't remember many things in my life that have ever tugged at my heartstrings quite so hard. Nothing is more precious than the expression of love from a child you adore. I'm so happy that I've had this chance to be Grammy in person!

They left this afternoon. I was bawling before they were out of the garage!

22 Comments:

Blogger Papa said...

SHE's BACK!! And I'm the first commenter. And yes, they were fun to have around.

5:35 PM  
Blogger sweet mama entropy said...

I'm so glad you had such a nice two week Grammy bonding period (and it's so rotten that we weren't able to met up with you all, but it sounds as if you were able to fill the time without us :) I understand about long distance families - it stinks. I would love for my boys (and me, for that matter) to get to see my side of the family more often. Those "in-person" Grammy moments are priceless. Hope you took lots of pics and made lots of "conversation" and "what happened" notes. They make being far away slightly more tolerable.

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grammy, you are precious! These pictures are great. I know you must miss them so much.

7:22 PM  
Blogger someone else said...

What preciousness! Those pictures are beautiful.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

You sound like an awesome grandmother and mom. The thought of you crying makes me sad. Big hugs. I am glad you had a wonderful visit with your family.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

My mom would TOTALLY agree with you on this!!! She was a long-distance Grammy for a while (NY-->UT and NY-->Ill) and then a SUPER-long-distance Grammy (South America-->UT and South America-->CA), and now she is a 2.8-miles-distance Grammy and LOVES it!

Here's hoping for more snuggle time on the big bed for you soon!

2:18 PM  
Blogger Millie said...

Awwwww. You remind me of my mom (Lizard Tongue Grannie). She's great about keeping close ties with her grandchildren, too. You and she are inspirational.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

You are the best grammy every. We already miss you so much. Laylee was must have asked 15 times on the 4 hour flight if we could go visit you again and when we do, if you would come pick us up off the airplane. I said yes. That's okay, right? Great job on the pics!

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fun visit and awesome Grammy! You look fantastic, BTW. We love HEB too. I am always standing close by the buddy buck point picker upper, giving tips on grabing the high dollar stickers. The day Macy got a 100 is still talked about.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Ortensia Norton said...

How fun! Pulls at my heart strings. Glad you had such a wonderful time together. I can just see you with those kids...
Ortensia

8:31 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh, I got all weepy reading "Grammy, don't go without ME!" My little Abigail's Grandparent's are all in the Northwest, and we are in the Midwest. I wish we were geographically closer, but reading your post gives me hope that we can still have kids who are emotionally close to their grandparents, even if they are across the country.

6:21 AM  
Blogger Blackeyedsue said...

Oh Grammy, it sounds absolutely wonderful. Your family is so lucky to have you.

There is nothing quite like family.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Goslyn said...

Aw, Grammy, I'm so glad you had those two weeks to bond with the little ones! Those pictures are just adorable. It sounds like it was a wonderful visit. I am glad you filled us in on it!

10:37 AM  
Blogger Gabriela said...

Sounds like you guys had a blast! You make the time at your home so fun, my kids are always asking when we get to go again. I agree with with Jules, you look great!

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I so can't wait to get there with my baby. It will be SO awesome!

1:53 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

I was wondering where you've been!! Sounds like you've had a good time with the family!

2:24 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

What a sweet granny-pie you are!

11:52 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

You are the best Grammy!! Beautiful photos.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Nettie said...

What a wonderful, "don't look old enough to be", Grammy you are! I'm sure they'll miss you as much! {{hugs}}

6:59 PM  
Blogger Bright One said...

I'm so glad to read your blog again! (And thanks for the gentle prod.....I'm back but not for long : ) Also, it made me cry to think that in a few short months I'll have a grandbaby of my own to bond with.....I'm going to remember all your words of advice about keeping in touch with them and I only hope I can know them as well and that they will love me as much as your babies love you! Loved the pictures!

4:23 PM  
Blogger momofalltrades said...

What a sweet Grammy you are! I feel so bad my kiddo's lost their In Person Grammy a little while back. We're all feeling a little "Grammy don't go without me!" right now. I'm so glad you had a great visit with The Daring family! I know she was sure excited to go see you.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's so hard to have family live far away. My husband's family lives in Utah. We write, talk on the phone, and visit, but it's just not the same as living close and seeing each other often. I'm glad you were able to spend time with your grandchildren...and their parents :-) It sounds like it was time well spent together.

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home