Grammy Rules

Mother to Kathryn (Daring Young Mom), Heather (One Woman's World) and 3 kick-butt non-blogging kids, whose real identites are top-secret. Also Grammy to Laylee, The Bean, and Magoo. Most especially, wife to Papa.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006



We live in Houston where a good gardener can grow two complete gardens a year. I am not a good gardener. In the past my plants have alternated between suffering from neglect or over-watering - But not any more!

Papa has set me up!

watermelon patch

I now have 5 raised beds, surrounded by gravel paths and equiped with automatic sprinklers that regulate the watering. They are back behind the garage where they are out of the way, but get plenty of sunlight all day. Note the chain link fence to keep the great galumpffing dog from digging in the mud.

Now all that's required is occasional weeding. That - I can handle!

The picture was taken this morning. Our spring garden is already finished (it being too hot for anything to thrive - including me!) So weeds have begun to take over the 1st 4 beds. Only the watermelons continue to grow - AND - Boy, do they ever! As you can see, they have overgrown their bed, the paths, the fence and have begun taking over the dog run. To tell you the truth, Caleb is terrified of "The Plant that Ate Milwaukee". (I had watermelon for breakfast and picked 2 more this morning.)

Since we have had the beds and sprinklers up and running, I am able to pass myself off as adequate. Due to a mild winter last year, our fall garden continued to produce until the end of January when we harvested about 40 lbs. of tomatoes. The right equipment makes all the difference!

14 Comments:

Blogger Shalee said...

Oh, so there is a chance that I could appear to know how to garden? That is a great tip, especially for someone with two brown thumbs...

9:17 AM  
Blogger sweet mama entropy said...

I envy your 40 lbs of tomatoes!!! We currently have four tomato plants in our garden, three of which are over seven feet long/tall. Unfortunatly, they seem to be dedicating all their energy to length/height production and not to fruiting. I think we've managed a total of 4-6 rather smallish sized tomatoes. And I have a great salsa recipe too!! Maybe next year. And maybe automatic sprinklers (goes off to contemplate that appealing subject :)

10:30 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Love tomatoes. My mother-in-law has done her garden the same way and she loves the boxes and pathways. It makes it easier for her to get around. She says she will never go back. Your garden looks wonderful.:)

2:11 PM  
Blogger Shereen said...

What a great set up for your garden. It looks great. Thanks for sharing. My daughter just started growin some veggies this year, and she is doing pretty good. I can't wait to show her your pictures.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Alotta Errata said...

This is totally not related to your post.. however I felt the need to tell you.

My cousin and I had been discussing my Grammy today. My Grammy passed a few years ago and now my cousin is walking to raise money for diabetes in her name, so Grammy was on our minds.

I have a little pop up window, it tells me when I have new mail. Your comment on my blog sends me a notice in the form of an email.

When the window popped up it said "you have a message from Grammy"

and that made me happy.

I'm glad other kids have nice Grammies too.

3:18 PM  
Blogger PastormacsAnn said...

Grammy, your garden looks great! I would love to set up some raised beds like that and an auto-sprinkler would be a must with Southwestern weather. (HOT & dry) Just the thought of fresh watermelon and tomatoes makes me hungry! I even have a place to put 'em. Mmmmm - maybe next year.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Nettie said...

Papa does Rock! And it sounds like the watermelon and tomatoes are rewarding his and your efforts richly.

2 gardens per year! How would that be? Do you have to dream about the next one while still growing the last one? I envy your fence. Maybe the local bunny would stay out of mine if I had one of those!

(Thanks for visiting me. I have been cheerfully thinking of my "handfull" ever since!)

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Their is nothing like fresh fruits and vegetables from the garden! you are so lucky to have Watermelon!!!I am jealous!

9:21 PM  
Blogger Blackeyedsue said...

Hey, since your garden isn't growing right now, can I ship you about twenty zuchinni's? Please?

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That thing is out of control!! Wanna send me some tomatoes?

10:52 PM  
Blogger Bright One said...

Oh my gosh 40 pounds of tomatoes in January!!! I am so jealous! I laughed to hear your description of the plant that is devouring your yard....I wish flowers grew so well. While visiting my mom a couple of weeks ago I saw how really nice raised beds are....MUCH easier to weed while sitting on the edge instead of bending over!

We live in the middle of the woods so unless I find some shade loving vegetables I won't be learning to garden anytime soon.....got any great recipes that use Hostas or moss? : )

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am impressed beyond words.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

I am rubbing my hands and schemeing the time away for when I will have a backyard for this!!

9:30 PM  
Blogger Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Beautiful garden. But I love the toes! LOL

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home