Grammy Rules

Mother to Kathryn (Daring Young Mom), Heather (One Woman's World) and 3 kick-butt non-blogging kids, whose real identites are top-secret. Also Grammy to Laylee, The Bean, and Magoo. Most especially, wife to Papa.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Pulling Up Stakes...

I have not blogged for a very long time. It's been a wild and crazy couple of months!

1st we traveled to the great North West to visit with Kathryn (of daringyoungmom) and her family. We worked hard and played hard and barely gave blogging a thought.

Then Heather (of onewomansworld) and her family and Adam (of notanotherblankblog) and his cute wife joined us there for our extended family reunion. And a good time was had by all!

We came home to discover that Clint (aka paparocks) had gotten the job transfer he had been hoping for. And thus began a whirlwind of frenzied activity.

We've done minor home repairs that never seemed like a high priority until now. I've cleaned like a crazed wild woman. (Every window, baseboard, light fixture, blind, closet and cupboard must GLEAM! Gleam, I tell you!) We have "showhome-itized" the whole joint. And filled the garage with the excess.

And it paid off --- BIG TIME! We listed this house on a Wednesday morning and had a signed contract for our full asking price that night.

We got on a plane the next morning and looked at houses all afternoon. We purchased beautiful new home the next day. I think it's my favorite house we've ever owned. We are now homeowners in Billings, Montana!

We are excited to be moving closer to our kids and grandkids and to Clint's family and to have a temple within a couple of miles of our home. But we are also sad to leave behind so many good friends and neighbors here in Houston. I will miss our ward and our active neighborhood and the tropical paradise that we've enjoyed in our own backyard. We never got into the swimming pool without one of us saying, "This is the best toy we ever bought!" And it's absolutely true. It has been wonderful!

At this moment, the packers are working away. First thing Saturday morning, we will be on the road to our new life. We will drive for 2 twelve hour days with the 85 pound lunatic dog in the backseat. (Actually, he has always been a sweetheart in the car, but we've never attempted a trip of this magnitude with him before. I've got a bottle of "doggie tranquilizers" in my purse - just in case.)

We get to spend a week in Utah with Heather & family, Megan (of nantiemeg) & Becky & Andrew and their puppy before heading north. So, I may not have access to a computer for a few weeks. But I'll be back. I promise. Don't forget about me. I miss you when you don't stop by.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of luck with the move Grammy! We will miss stopping in Houston and seeing you. Julio sends kisses to the 85-pound crazy dog.

XXXOOO

3:06 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I JUST found out from Nantie Meg at FHE last night the reason for your recent lack of bloggage, and am VERY excited for you to be closer to your family!

Maybe I'll even get to meet you when you come through...seeing as how I live across the street from Heather now...

5:31 PM  
Blogger tam said...

She IS still here! Oh I've missed your wit and wisdom!

So happy for you that your home sold like "whamo!" WOW!

Have safe and blessed travels...Congratulations on getting the transfer!

Looking forward to your posts about the trip and new home and new neighborhood!

8:06 AM  
Blogger Nettie said...

I've wondered where you were!

Congratulations! And best of luck on the move and your new adventures!

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're moving closer to us. And what are you talkin' about? Your house has always gleamed. You are amazing.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Bright One said...

Oh my, I wondered where you were! You had a good excuse but you've been missed! I for one am happy to hear you're moving to Billings! My dad lives in Cody which is about 2 hours south of Billings, back (ok, way back) in my high school days I used to go to Billings (the "big city") to shop. Can't say I think it's a beautiful city but it does have a temple now!

Anyway, hope you like it in your new home and if you get a chance you'll have to check out Red Lodge (a fun little place south of you with quaint shops) and of course...Cody, Wyoming, my old stomping grounds!

Congrats on all your happy events! Can't wait to hear an update.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

That is so wonderful about your house and your move and all. I wondered where you'd been, but am so glad you've been having fun (Well, except for the whole cleaning and moving thing). I just finished up that whole whirlwind myself. Still trying to catch my breath.

Will be praying for safe travel for you both and stupendous visits with your children and grands.

I'll look forward to hearing all about your travels and settling in once you return!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Carolee said...

I just followed a link from your daringyoungdaughter's site and found you here. I'm faced with getting my house ready to sell and wish you could give me pointers on how to get it sold in a day for full price! The whole prospect makes me tired, but I'll be using your same realtor, so I hope she'll bring me as much good luck! Remember that you will be missed here and we are all so grateful for the service you've given so freely and the gifts and insight you've shared with us. I'll miss your stories in scripture group! Stay in touch and good luck in your new life!

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations GrammyElin and PapaRocks on the move! Billings is SUCH a beautiful place. I truly envy you your life in Montana. If you are carnivores, please eat some Elk for me. It is DELICIOUS.

I don't envy you the winters, but you guys are going to have such a great time.

And I'm SO glad you're blogging again!!

Oh, a few years ago, they had the best little Pizza shop in Billings ... I'll see if I can dredge up the name and send it along. Excellent food.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

It has been awhile! I'm glad to see a new post from you!

Congrats on the new house and the big move. Sounds like a lot of work. Moving is always such a chore for me. But it sounds like a great situation for you! Good luck and enjoy your new home!

11:40 AM  
Blogger Ortensia Norton said...

Cannot believe you are so close to Canada again. Crazy! Maybe I will see you again in this life time...maybe one day we will end up in Montana. I am always amazed at how a 3-5 hour drive south across the border makes fruit sweeter, tastier, cheapier, climate warmer CLOTHES AND HOUSEWEAR cheaper. Though I love Canada it would be nice to be able to take those vain things for granted everyday. Still can't believe you are in Montana...still can't...

9:24 PM  
Blogger sweet mama entropy said...

I had heard rumors of this. I'm so happy for you! And sad for me. Especially since I missed my last chance to see you in person over Labor Day weekend (You'd rather househunt than meet one of the cutest babies ever in person? Whatever:) But I'm glad you all bought your dream home and have a good job transfer and are closer to your sweet family. And enjoy the snow for me. I'm so jealous!! Good luck!

5:37 PM  
Blogger the lizness said...

congratulations on the speedy house selling/ buying. How nice for you that it didn't drag on forever.

7:37 AM  
Blogger the lizness said...

PS Don't forget to deduct your moving expenses on your taxes this year.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

What an exciting adventure! I hear Montana is a wonderful place and it will be an even better place with both of you living there. Good luck!:)

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WaHOO, a post from Grammy. I can't wait to visit you in that Montana house.

12:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grammy, darling, where are you? Bloggityville misses your wit and wisdom. Not to mention some gorgeous pics of Montana. Post! Post! Pleeeeese???

8:48 AM  
Blogger Bright One said...

Miss your witty posts so I've tagged you with a meme ! Hope we hear from you soon!

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home