Grammy Rules

Mother to Kathryn (Daring Young Mom), Heather (One Woman's World) and 3 kick-butt non-blogging kids, whose real identites are top-secret. Also Grammy to Laylee, The Bean, and Magoo. Most especially, wife to Papa.

Monday, July 24, 2006

The Best Advice I Was Ever Given

Lately, as I've been reading your "Mommy Blogs", I've been thinking about how busy we all seem to be. Sometimes it appears that there is no end to the work that we need to do, or the service that we must give. And I am reminded of the advice my dear Mother gave me one time when I was completely overwhelmed.

I was a junior in college (about to turn 21), when I was asked to accept a postition at church that was very itimidating to me. So, like any young girl would do, I called my Mom. What she said has inspired and sustained me many times over the years.

After a few words of encouragement and re-assurance that I could do what had been asked of me, she gave me this timeless advice:

"A woman is like a pitcher. She spends her life pouring into everyone else's glasses - her friends, husband, children, parents, brothers, sisters, work associates and so many others. But sooner or later, she will come up empty unless she has done one very simple and yet important thing. She must re-fill at the source of "Living Water".

drinking_water_glass

It is only through our reliance on Jesus Christ that we are able to become re-filled and re-freshed. As we immerse ourselves in the scriptures and prayer, we recieve the strength and direction we need to be of service in the world."


So just a reminder to any of you who are feeling stressed and just a little bit empty. Take time for yourself. Read. Pray. Meditate. Do whatever it takes to re-new your spirits. It isn't selfish. It's what we need to carry on!
The Lord will bless you as you try.

15 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

Thank you for this muchly needed reminder, Grammy! It is so important to not become an empty pitcher. Everyone suffers when that happens. I am going to go refill right now. :)

9:15 AM  
Blogger someone else said...

Good advice and some that I've tried to use in my own life. When we do nothing but give out, we eventually run a little dry and need time to refill.

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you passed that advice on to me. :) It continues to bless my life.

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!! I don't think I could every hear that too often. It is applicable for me everyday!

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, Grammy!

8:27 AM  
Blogger Kathryn Thompson said...

It's some of the best advice you've ever given me.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Blackeyedsue said...

Thanks for telling us this Grammy. I needed it today.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Thank you so much for this post today Grammy! I needed it!

1:30 PM  
Blogger Bright One said...

I know personally the truth of this advice. I am so often struck with how blessed I have been to have this source of strength....how could I have done anything without it!

I got this little thing via e-mail today which I found thought provoking...

What if?????

I wonder what would happen if we treated our scriptures like we treat our cell
phones?

What if we carried them around in our purses or pockets?

What if we turned back to go get them if we forgot them?

What if we flipped through them several times a day?

What if we used them to receive "text" messages ?

What if we treated them like we couldn't live without them?

What if we gave them to kids as gifts?

What if we used them as we traveled?

What if we used them in case of an emergency?

What if we upgraded to get the latest version?

This is something to make you go...hmmm... what if?

4:11 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

This is so true.:) After my last baby and a bit of postpartum depression, the midwife gave me a "prescription" of one afternoon off a week. My baby is now 2 and I still do this. I take an afternoon or evening most weeks (just 2-3 hours) and do something that I want to do. Sometimes it is just going to the library and reading magazines that I would never buy, but it does wonders for my mental state. I also nitch out exercise daily and scripture study.

8:00 PM  
Blogger kelly jeanie said...

Wow, what a great post, Grammy. Thank you for this much-needed truth.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Allysha said...

That's really a wonderful thought. I'm glad I stopped by here. It makes it nice to be the one who is a pitcher, actually.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Love you mommy

12:04 AM  
Blogger tam said...

Have I mentioned how much I appreciate you?

(and now your mom?)

10:01 PM  
Blogger Nettie said...

Thank you! This is advice I can really use these days!

6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home